Downsizing is a challenge. Simply parting with items that you’ve had in your life for a period of time brings a slew of physical and mental demands. Planning, packing, and letting go of the attachment is never easy. Luckily, the tips below can be helpful when downsizing time has come, whether it’s time for senior transitioning annapolis md or there is simply too much in the home.
1. Check the New Home Layout: Familiarize yourself with the available space in the new home. This will help you know how much room you have to work with and can be a great help when choosing what to keep and what to get rid of.
2. Don’t Wait Until the Last Minute: Planning well in advance is the best way to make downsizing easier. Don’t attend to discard and rid the home of everything in a day or two. Start downsizing as soon as possible to minimize confusion and hassle.
3. Get Help: Whether it is a friend, a family member, or a professional, make sure someone is there to help with the downsizing process. When someone is there to help, the day passes by quickly and with less hassle and it’s far less stressful.
4. One Room at a Time: Don’t attempt to take on the entire house at once. Make sure downsizing takes place room by room. Whether you start with the attic, the bathroom, a bedroom, or elsewhere, stick to one room before moving onto the next one.
5. Make an Inventory or Two: Make an inventory list of items that you are taking with you and if you want, items that you’ve donated or tossed or given away, just so you don’t forget. Creating an inventory is easy if you have online computer programs but a handwritten list works wonderfully as well.